Overview of Power Management Software
Power management solution refers to the mechanism for controlling the power use of computer hardware in order to reduce the power consumption of computer. This is typically through the use of software that puts the hardware into the lowest power demand state available. Power management is a computing device feature that allows users to control the amount of electrical power consumed by an underlying device, with minimal impact on performance.
Power management is one of the best way to cut costs and improve revenue of the companies. Any business spends most on an electric bill. There are numerous devices using power on daily basis in any company’s premises. The major power consumption is attributed to desktops computers, laptops, server rooms and air conditioners. People in office work in shifts therefore the computers are used for a larger part of the day. But laptops are dedicated devices and need power management at a central level.
Employees do not put their systems to sleep and also never shut down the machines unless asked to do so. This consumes a lot of power, which results in overflowing electricity bills. Also to dissipate the constant heat generated by these systems forces workplace to have powerful ACs operating for indefinite period of time, which further adds to the bill amount.
Power Management Solutions are thus boon in disguise. They have inexplicable features to reduce power consumption and hence the bill. Read further to know more.
How Power Management Software can help to save cost and energy?
PC power management tools are the best abet for cost and energy saving. Earlier power usage was attributed mainly to hardware parts of a machinery. But with progressive technical advances software has equal or more contribution towards power consumption in any organization. This commences the need to reduce power usage by software used in bulk in companies. Software dissipates power when it is active and also when it is inactive. Power management is thus essential for inexpensive and green IT. It is estimated that IT sector’s gadgetry account for more than 2% of global CO2 emissions.
Power Management Solutions are intelligent and non-intrusive at the same time. They are designed to work and be compatible with your existing systems and also support application performance tracking based on system model. This deep analysis promises to enhance the flexibility and productivity of the organization.
Top 10 Features to consider while evaluating Power management software
- Automatic PC power management — Many devices run on batteries. Batteries are bound to exhaust in some time. Intelligent software identifies the battery life in advance and lets you know when they cannot be charged further and need a replacement. Predefined power management settings enable devices to perform energy saving operations when CPU, network or any other activity falls below set default level. Power management software also automates the power consumption of servers for extended battery runtime.
- Customizable power schemes — Software usually come with some pre set default settings. However the settings can be modified later according to the usability of the devices. Power schemes are customarily Pre-packaged and EPA-recommended. These can be revamped to attune multiple power settings on single machine. Software allow you to customize your PC energy management requirements by creating schedules for multiple and customizable groups of devices. Also power management software ensures that the cost calculation of energy consumption can be customized as per the tariff rates varying in different countries, regions and even buildings.
- Dynamic report generation — Using the software, power usage reports can be generated dynamically for all the machines being used in the organization. The reports have different variants like savings, expenditure and utilization in terms of power and money. Power consumption converted into carbon footprint and its impact on environment can help track the wastage and over use of power in the company. Also regular audits provide a base delimit of manoeuvred energy and show projected annual savings in comparative format. Software have features like energy savings calculator that displays real-time insight into devices being used and flexible reporting engine which manifests agreement with corporate policies and provides statistical data for energy deductions and sustainability reports.
- Process aware software — IT companies have numerous project deployments, deliveries schedules as per client’s requirements. They will not want the PCs and other devices to lower the power during these critical hours. Power management software provide features to support process aware power management. Software are intelligent enough to implement detailed power management actions and apply the software updates/upgrades after working hours or after the execution of crucial processes such as production releases, disaster emergencies and application deployments.
- Cloud synchronization — Cloud enables authorised users to access the data related to power savings and expenditure at any moment. The power management schemes on existing and new machines can be fed to cloud and thus synchronization of data is made possible by power management software.
- Remote monitoring of devices — Pre scheduled activity can be defined in the software to shutdown, sleep or hibernate the PC after the working hours or execution of critical tasks. One does not need to be physically present to carry out the function and it can be easily managed by the software implemented. Dynamic selection of activities can also be arranged. After monitoring the state of machine remotely, the machine can be shutdown, sleep or hibernate from the remote location at any given time.
- Minimize end-user disruption (Non- Intrusive) – Smart software has following features to lower end-user disruptions:-
- Users are given notification before enabling the power management actions
- Users also have the option to temporarily suspend the power management to complete any important task
- PCs can be programmed to shut down when moved to wireless network or disconnected from the internet
- The software shuts down all the open documents and save them with latest changes before powering off the machine
- The software also operates in stealth mode so that users are not interrupted while working
- Wake-on-LAN — WoL is a technology that allows users to remotely wake the computer to carry out any scheduled maintenance. This excludes the physical presence of users to carry out the tasks. The power management software ensures that PCs are in low power mode, when not in use. But even then there is requirement of updating the software installed on the machine. Wake on LAN is thus a very essential feature.
- Virtualization — virtualization refers to the act of creating a virtual (rather than actual) version of something, including virtual computer hardware platforms, storage devices, and computer network resources. With virtualization, actual implementation of multiple servers and devices is lowered. Services are carried out on fewer machines and thus there is lot of power and cost saving. Virtual systems can also be used to control and operate the hardware parts remotely with the help of a chip which includes functionality to control power settings.
- Asset Tracking and Management — Integrated Asset Management is an add-on feature supported by Power Management Software in their enterprise edition. Furthermore asset performance management allows businesses to exploit their devices to their maximum capacity and hence improve their power delivery reliability. It also enables businesses to lower the total lifecycle cost of the power consuming machines and increase their revenue.
Evaluation Parameters for Power management software
Companies are always looking out for ways to reduce their expenses. Investment in power management software is one of the best ways to curb the costs related to energy consumption and its wastage. Apart from cost cuttings there are many other benefits of using a power management software. Following evaluation parameters should be considered before making the move.
- Power management reports – Once installed, power management reports should be generated by the software so that responsible authorities can take a call and customize the product according to the industry requirement. Different kind of reports like computer activity report, computer details report, computer excluded report, computers with multiple power plans report, energy consumption report, energy cost report, environmental impact report, power capabilities report, power settings report and insomnia report help the company management team to analyze the utilization of the software.
- System understanding mechanism – Efficient generation, transmission and conversion of electrical energy is necessary for inexpensive and green IT initiative. Software should have the capabilities to function smoothly when installed. Different users have different power requirements on their systems based on the type of work they need to deliver. Power management software should be intelligent enough to understand all such demands and thus not hamper the ongoing activities of the organization.
- Remote monitoring of the devices – Numerous activities are scheduled after office hours. Software should be able to handle the power management of the devices which need to operate after regular office hours. It should also provide facilities which will give access authorized access to users to monitor the undertaking from a remote location. Intelligent monitoring is a major factor to consider while choosing a power management software. Remote monitoring includes functions such as checking the condition of the network, estimating missing system states, detecting network abnormalities, and announcing alarms based on operating conditions and status changes.
- After sales support – Customer support should be available 24*7 as power management is a critical activity and it should not interrupt the ongoing pre-eminent tasks in the organization. But if that happens, customer care service should be able to assist the users to get the work back on track. There should be an ample number of ways to communicate the problem and get a handy solution like live chats, phone calls, emails or a well integrated graphic user interface to report any issue without any manual support.
Latest trends in power management software
Market keeps growing and keeps demanding. However when it comes to power management, the only outcome expected is energy saving and cost cutting. Following trends have been popular in the past and still are significant for choosing power management software.
- Innovations in technology used for power management are a posing new challenges for companies as well as software designers. The organizations are looking for new trends in technology such as new storage battery options and smartphone-based thermostat apps to be integrated in the power management software.
- Reserve management analysis is the latest that firms are looking for reducing energy wastage and costs. This is a major step towards green IT. Reserve management includes identifying reserve capacity requirements of the devices, notifying insufficient reserve, ensuring reliable system operation during outage and maintaining additional reserve in case of exigencies.
- Resourceful root cause analysis for investigating and improving system operations is one of the key trends in power management software industry. Event playback is the latest feature incorporated by software developers that allows authorities to replay the what-if situations and explore the alternative ways for implementing power management software. Event playback provides features such as event logging, data retrieval, playback console, raw data processing and storing capabilities and sharing of information with authority.
- Cloud based power management models are the latest software designs that are lucrative for organizations looking for saving power and related costs. Cloud enables firms to store their data on cloud, share it with others having required authority and access and learn about new techniques shared by others in code repository.
- Use of Internet of Things marks a major step in devices and infrastructure of machines used in organizations. IoT ensures flexibility in the use of power management software.
How Power Management Software reduced carbon waste by 15% and cut PC energy cost by 65%